- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and vodka. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions.
- Stir the pesto, salt and pepper flakes into tomato mixture. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain penne; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce
"While we liked this, we had just a few minor issues with it. Mine came out pretty runny in the end. I tried to let it continue to boil for a while (well past the 2 minutes), but it never seemed to thicken up. I added in some water cornstarch to see if that would help and it did thicken a bit. Maybe I was supposed to drain the tomatoes? It didn't say to, so I threw the whole can in, juice and all. I also expected to get a hint of the vodka, but I didn't. It was a good flavor, just not what I was expecting. I made everything as written except adding the cornstarch and using ziti instead of penne. We will make this again, but I might try to tweak it a bit more."
"Definitely putting this one in my rotation!!"
"Excellent recipe!!! I added thinly sliced sweet Italian sausage (not to thin, skin removed) and sliced fresh mushrooms! I added both when I began to sauteed the onions. I omitted the pesto and used basil seasoning and threw in a couple of bay leaves into the sauce. I removed the bay leaves prior to adding the heavy cream mixture and milk. I will definitely make this again! =)"
"One of the best pasta dishes I've ever tasted ---"
"This was a big hit at our home - I will make this again."
"Hubby really liked it. I thought it was a little bland but I didn't have any pesto so that could be why. I substituted 14.5 oz of spaghetti sauce for one of the cans of tomatoes because I needed to use it up and my family doesn't like tomato chunks anyway. Also, I substituted 2% milk because we never have whole milk. It was still good but next time I'll make sure I add pesto. Oh and one large onion seemed way too much!"
"Great recipe. I purchase a store bought oven roasted chicken and cut pieces of the flavorful chicken up and add it to the sauce. I also throw in some frozen peas right before serving. A quick and delicious meal that all my boys (5 of them ) thoroughly enjoy. Don't forget the garlic bread for scooping up the sauce!!!"
"This recipe was wonderful. I used regular penne pasta instead of the wheat, and added a little more pepper flakes. I will definitely make this again and again!! Super Yum!"
"The whole family liked this one! Even my super picky 4 year old ate it - after some coaxing."
"This is the first time I have had Vodka Cream Sauce and it was excellent and very flavorful. I will definitely be making this again."