Makeover Pecan Upside-Down Cake Recipe
This moist and tender cake is packed with pecans and sweetness. Although still not a "light" dessert, it has nearly a third fewer calories and 43 percent less fat than the original! Mae Johnson - De Ridder, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and pecans. Spread evenly into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 238 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC