- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and pecans. Spread evenly into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Pecan Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
"Tasty! We use this as a coffee cake."
"Very, very good. Wasn't sure I'd be able to find butter pecan cake mix but found at Walmart. The cake mix really does make the cake. Might try chopped pecans in the future as others have stated since it was hard to cut but taste was so good and I actually liked bites of pecan halves. Will be making again and recommend trying to anyone who hasn't yet."
"I used the light corn syrup because I didn't have any dark on hand. Also, I whipped the egg whites and then blended them into the batter which made it more like a sponge cake. Delicious!"
"This was a delicious, easy and perfect for Fall. Be sure to use 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans unless you want "spaces in places".The butter pecan cake mix makes it. They are available at Wal-Mart. Carefully spread the batter to the edge of the dish so that the pecan mixture is completely covered. This should prevent any bubbling over. This is perfect with a little whip cream and a glass of wine."
"I made the cake without using the reduced fat ingredients and of course, it was good. Unfortunately, the topping rose and went over in the oven. It was still good though."