This moist and tender pecan upside-down cake is packed with pecans and sweetness. Although still not a "light" dessert, it has nearly a third fewer calories and 43 percent less fat than the original! —Mae Johnson, De Ridder, Louisiana
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and pecans. Spread evenly into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Pecan Upside-Down Cake in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p23
Reviews for Makeover Pecan Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review