Makeover Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped pecans, optional
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla.
- 3. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Unroll cake; spread ice cream over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and freeze until firm.
- 6. Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 7. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter. Serve with ice cream roll. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Yield: 12 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce).
1 slice with about 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without pecans): 319 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll
"Turned out great. My company all wanted the recipe."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.