This dessert is so convenient to make ahead of time and keep in the freezer for company. Cake and ice cream make it the best of two worlds! The original recipe's caramel sauce was high in fat and calories. Our Taste of Home Test Kitchen makeover version tastes great—and makes a nice topping for ice cream, too.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped pecans, optional
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter. Serve with ice cream roll. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Yield: 12 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce).
Originally published as Makeover Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll in Healthy Cooking June/July 2011, p28
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Makeover Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2012
"Turned out great. My company all wanted the recipe."