Makeover Old-Fashioned Banana Cake Recipe
When Jacqueline Kudron of Dracut, Massachusetts asked the Light & Tasty team to revamp her banana cake, we couldn't wait to give it a try. Luckily, this version is 171 calories lighter than Jacqueline's original and has 63% less fat. Best of all, the taste and moist texture of her specialty remains.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups cubed firm bananas
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Beat into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in pineapple. Fold in the bananas, cherries and walnuts.
- 2. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Add the batter. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 304 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC