- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce, oil and syrup until well blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt and allspice; gradually beat into applesauce mixture until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Spread batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Oatmeal Bars
"I made these yesterday. They are super quick and easy! I made a few modifications to lighten them up a bit more. I used raw sugar, whole wheat pastry flour, only 1/4 cup of canola oil & two tb of ground flaxseed. I also used instead of 2 cups of quick oats, I used 1 cup 100% old fashioned oats and 1 cup quick oats. I made them for work and everyone liked them."
"These bars are easy to make for a fast breakfast or a snack. Just the right amount of moisture. The kids loved these."
"Pretty good! Perfect for school lunches. ( I don't find these bars to be dry at all.)"
"I know it was healthy to begin with but i wanted to cut the oil out and change it up. i used turbinado sugar in place of the regular sugar,1 medium banana in place of the oil,amber agave syrup in place of maple syrup,whole wheat flour instead of white and 1/3 cup dried cranberries instead of raisins..it turned out AWESOME and i will definately make it again!"
"It was very dry. I wondered if some of the ingredients were incorrect or missing"
"These turned out great. I took them to an event and others asked me for the recipe."
"But I'd have to know that they will be served right away... I didn't find them as tasty eaten the next day."
"These bars were too dry. Needed more applesauce or oil or put some of the butter back in."
"These sound wonderful! Does anyone know if they will work with a sugar substitute?"
"This recipe is SO quick & easy!I have tried some variations, but my favorite is adding mini chocolate chips & shredded coconut, and omitting the raisins....it's not as healthy "my way" but super tasty!I have also used craisins instead of raisins!"