Makeover Multigrain Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and butter; whisk into dry ingredients just until blended.
Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if desired.
Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 28 waffles.
2 waffles (calculated without butter and syrup) equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.