These delicious multigrain waffles are crispy, airy, and lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than the original recipe...but just as tasty! Betty Blair - Bartlett, Tennessee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and butter; whisk into dry ingredients just until blended.
Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if desired.
Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 28 waffles.
Originally published as Makeover Multigrain Waffles in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p19
Reviews for Makeover Multigrain Waffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review