Makeover Monterey Quiche Recipe
With its creamy goodness and Southwestern flair, this savory specialty is a definite hit with Pam Pressly's family in Beachwood, Ohio. Our home economists lightened the recipe to replicate the mouthwatering taste with fewer calories. It's perfect for special brunches or lunches with fresh fruit on the side.—Pam Pressly, Beachwood, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 egg whites, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 unbaked deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, cook onion in butter over medium-low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 6 egg whites, eggs, cottage cheese, 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, chilies, flour, baking powder, salt and onion mixture. In a large bowl, beat remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture. Pour into pastry shells.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).
1 piece equals 265 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC