Makeover Monterey Quiche Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 egg whites, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 unbaked deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook onion in butter over medium-low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine 6 egg whites, eggs, cottage cheese, 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, chilies, flour, baking powder, salt and onion mixture. In a large bowl, beat remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture. Pour into pastry shells.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Makeover Monterey Quiche
Sort By :
"Taste great and very easy to make!"
"I have made this for family many times, it always being request. Sometime I add bacon or broccoli to it. Since we don't like hot stuff I skip the chilies. a must in my recipie box."