Makeover Mom's Clam Chowder Recipe
- 3/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, carrots and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, clam juice, bouillon and seasonings. Add potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in the clams, cream and remaining milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 155 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 726mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Mom's Clam Chowder
"This is my oldest son's favorite soup. He requests it any time he gets to choose the menu."
"I thought this was fantastic. My family loved it and there are no arguments when I suggest it for supper."