Makeover Mom's Clam Chowder Recipe
When we lived in Michigan, this was a perfect comforting soup when blustery winds blew into town. The steaming bowls of soup warmed up icy toes just right! The Taste of Home Test Kitchen came up with this lighter version. —Christine Schenher, San Clemente, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, carrots and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, clam juice, bouillon and seasonings. Add potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in the clams, cream and remaining milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 155 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 726 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC