Makeover Moist Fudgy Brownies Recipe
These makeover brownies are still rich and moist and full of the chocolaty goodness of the original recipe. The changes cut the calories by more than a quarter, fat by nearly half and saturated fat and cholesterol by about 60%.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 jars (2-1/2 ounces each) prune baby food
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, baby food, oil, vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture; mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Makeover Moist Fudgy Brownies in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p16
Reviews for Makeover Moist Fudgy Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2009
My husband is a brownie nut and he did not notice it had been lighten up. These brownies were very moist and rich. The only change I made was that I used Walnuts instead of Pecans.