One sweet bite of this heavenly carrot cake and you'll be on cloud nine. Not only is the cake moist and flavorful, the icing is truly to-die-for. —Geri Frahm, Gretna, Nebraska
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 5 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat the sugars, applesauce, oil, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, pineapple, raisins and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheeses and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Moist Carrot Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p11
Reviews for Makeover Moist Carrot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review