Makeover Mint Layer Brownies Recipe
This slimmed-down recipe, with just half the fat and cholesterol of the original recipe, is still divinely decadent and makes a great meal finale! Marinda Smith - Queen Creek, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT LAYER:
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, chocolate and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For mint layer, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, extract and food coloring if desired; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until firm.
- 4. For icing, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Gently pour over the top. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 brownie equals 218 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC