Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- 3. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 brownie equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies
"The bottom layer was too dry. I was disappointed."