- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p24
Reviews for Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2010
"The bottom layer was too dry. I was disappointed."