Downsizing the sugar and margarine, and switching to fat-free milk made all the difference in this coffee cake recipe, but without sacrificing one tasty crumb of flavor.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in milk and applesauce (mixture may appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Spread half of the batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half of filling over the batter. Gently top with remaining batter and filling. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Maple Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p22
Reviews for Makeover Maple Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2012
"This cake was ok but for my taste it was not sweet enough."
Reviewed May. 10, 2011
"Very good and very easy to make. I omited the frosting, because I was out of confectioners sugar."
Reviewed Apr. 13, 2011
"I made it and is deliciousthank you for charing"