Downsizing the sugar and margarine, and switching to fat-free milk made all the difference in this coffee cake recipe, but without sacrificing one tasty crumb of flavor.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in milk and applesauce (mixture may appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Spread half of the batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half of filling over the batter. Gently top with remaining batter and filling. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Maple Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p22
Reviews for Makeover Maple Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2012
"This cake was ok but for my taste it was not sweet enough."
Reviewed May. 10, 2011
"Very good and very easy to make. I omited the frosting, because I was out of confectioners sugar."
Reviewed Apr. 13, 2011
"I made it and is deliciousthank you for charing"