Makeover Manicotti Crepes Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For sauce, place tomatoes in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; add the water, tomato sauce, sugar, oregano and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until reduced to 4-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for crepes, beat the eggs, egg substitute, milk and oil in a large bowl. Combine flour and salt; add egg mixture and stir until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large bowl, soak bread in milk for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg substitute, green pepper, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Stir in mozzarella. Cover and refrigerate until assembling.
- Coat an 8-in. nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat. Stir crepe batter; pour 3 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, coating skillet with cooking spray as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each crepe; roll up and place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Manicotti Crepes(3)
Sort By :
good taste, alot of work
This would have been five stars if it hadn't of taken me so long to cook it! I was in the kitchen from about 4:30 to 8:30 making this. Because of the time I probably won't make this recipe more then once every few months but it's definitely worth the wait. I now prefer the crepes rather then manicotti noodles because the texture was so enjoyable. Instead of only using a half pound of italian sausage I used a whole pound and reduced the ground beef to only half a pound. Everything about this recipe was very tasty!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >