My great-grandmother used to make this delicious pound cake weekly. This is a light version of her cake yet it still has a wonderful and tasty flavor.—Tonya Peele, Wake Forest, North Carolina
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, applesauce and oil. In a small bowl, combine the evaporated milk, buttermilk, extracts and food coloring if desired.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Mama Cake in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p10
Reviews for Makeover Mama Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review