"This is one of my husband’s favorite recipes and now with it made over, he can really enjoy it, and even go back for seconds!" Gaye Andree — Rochester, New York
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended; beat in milk and extract. Combine flours, coconut, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into egg yolk mixture until blended.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 65-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Macaroon Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p22
Reviews for Makeover Macaroon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review