Makeover Macaroon Cake Recipe
"This is one of my husband’s favorite recipes and now with it made over, he can really enjoy it, and even go back for seconds!" Gaye Andree — Rochester, New York
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended; beat in milk and extract. Combine flours, coconut, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into egg yolk mixture until blended.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 65-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 287 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Macaroon Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC