- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended; beat in milk and extract. Combine flours, coconut, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into egg yolk mixture until blended.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 65-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Macaroon Cake
"Everyone who tried this cake enjoyed it. I thought the makeover went well and I will definitely make it again! This coming from a woman who bakes weekly. Job well done!"
"PS. Thanks Gaye for sharing!!!"
"This cake is great. I didn't have cake flour and wasn't able to find any but looked online and found a substitute: 1 c. cake flour = 7/8 c. all purpose flour + 2 Tbs. cornstarch. I just adjusted the measurements for the 1 1/2 c. asked for in the recipe. This worked well but online did say the cake would be denser if cake flour was not used and this cake did turn out denser than if used cake flour (probably, never used cake flour). This cake is good as written but if I were to make any changes, I would add more coconut or perhaps substitute coconut extract for the almond extract since I thought the coconut flavor was not quite strong enough (not an issue really). This would be even more awesome toasted with some ice cream and chocolate or fruit syrup, OMG!!! :):):)"
"followed exactly, but used orange extract instead of almont...the best cake in a long time"
"I used Sweetend :)"
"Can someone please let me know if you used sweetened coconut or unsweetened? I'm making this tomorrow! :)"
"TASTY cake and easy!I sprayed the pan & it still stuck to the bottom, but did not fall apart to much when I got it out. But I did not use a bundt pan either, I used two round cake pansI baked at 326 but NO where NEAR 65 mins, it would have been burnt to a crisp. I think maybey 35-40 mins I cooked it and it was perfect; could be my oven though.Cant wait when my Marine comes home from work today to have him taste test it :) Then Im off to give samples to the neighbors :)"
"i have not made this yet but i defentily will try it. sounds easy and yummy to gowith our coffee."
"Did not work out well. Overflowed all over the oven! Followed the directions to the letter, but used regular flour instead of cake flour. I am at 7200 feet elevation, so maybe it's just not a high altitude recipe."