Makeover Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy and cheesy with comfort in every bite, this lightened-up classic is sure to become a family favorite at your house, too! —Nancy Langrock, Southbury, Connecticut
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in process cheese
- and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese until smooth. Drain macaroni; stir into
- cheese sauce.
- Remove from the heat; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let
- stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 403 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 944 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.