Makeover Loaded Pizza Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup each chopped green pepper, sweet red pepper, white onion and red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 turkey Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 15 turkey pepperoni slices (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, onions and garlic in oil until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Coat a 14-in. pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pan. Build up edges slightly; prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper; spread over crust. Top with the vegetables, meat mixture, pepperoni and olives. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- 5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 300 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Loaded Pizza
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.