- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup each chopped green pepper, sweet red pepper, white onion and red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 turkey Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 15 turkey pepperoni slices (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, onions and garlic in oil until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Coat a 14-in. pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Build up edges slightly; prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper; spread over crust. Top with the vegetables, meat mixture, pepperoni and olives. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Loaded Pizza in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p15
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Loaded Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review