Makeover Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves Recipe
My husband goes wild for my meatloaf, but I don't know how healthy it is. The Taste of Home Test Kitchen experts slashed the calories and fat, but kept the original's tender and delicious qualities. —Jodie Mitchell, Denver, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion, carrot and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into eight loaves; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 meat loaf equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC