Makeover Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves Recipe
My husband goes wild for my meatloaf, but I don't know how healthy it is. The Taste of Home Test Kitchen experts slashed the calories and fat, but kept the original's tender and delicious qualities. —Jodie Mitchell, Denver, Pennsylvania
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion, carrot and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into eight loaves; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 meat loaf equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC