Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with lemon juice and yogurt.
- 2. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- 3. For streusel, combine the flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 226 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins
"The recipe took too long and they came out tough. I used a stand mixer. Don't know if that made a difference."
"Good, but not I wouldn't make it again. Love baked goods, but not a baker. Took a little more effort than I prefer. (Difficulty and "would you make it again" are definitely fair considerations, in my opinion.)"
"These are great! I don't think it was fair to rate this recipe based on the fact that took more work than what was expected. It is not a quick fix but hey!!!! the results are worth effort."
"This recipe was a little bit more involved than I realized. The muffins were good, but the recipe was a little bit of work."