Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with lemon juice and yogurt.
- 2. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- 3. For streusel, combine the flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 226 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins
"The recipe took too long and they came out tough. I used a stand mixer. Don't know if that made a difference."
"Good, but not I wouldn't make it again. Love baked goods, but not a baker. Took a little more effort than I prefer. (Difficulty and "would you make it again" are definitely fair considerations, in my opinion.)"
"These are great! I don't think it was fair to rate this recipe based on the fact that took more work than what was expected. It is not a quick fix but hey!!!! the results are worth effort."
"This recipe was a little bit more involved than I realized. The muffins were good, but the recipe was a little bit of work."