- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, optional
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Candied lemon slices, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9x5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in oil, lemon juice, peel, vanilla and, if desired, poppy seeds. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, top with candied lemon slices. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Makeover Lemon Pound Cake
"The cake is delicious, but it does have a spongy texture as one reviewer commented. It is to be expected with only 1/4 c of butter. I suggest that you under bake it - mine was ready in 40-45 min. Served with a dollop of yogurt and fresh berries and it was divine. It is not quite as good without it so just 4 stars. Note: I did not think the cake was too salty in the least!"
"I read the reviews prior to baking this so I cut the salt in half and used regular yogurt over Greek bc it's what I prefer. I thought it turned out great!"
"Turned out beautiful but way too salty. Sorry I wasted all the ingredients. I double, triple checked the ingredient list and was hesitant on putting in a teaspoon of salt but followed instructions anyway. This cake doesn't need that much salt using the yogurt and salted butter in the recipe . Loved the texture. Even tossed some sliced strawberries in a little flour and added to the cake. When you read a recipe and think there is a typo or missing ingredients , go with your instinct. Have a blessed life."
"I'd made this cake and I really liked the recipe! I made four 7-1/2x3-1/2" loaves and retained the glaze from the lemon slices which I'd drizzled over the baked loaves-just enough to moisten them. I'd also used lemon yogurt the first time and vanilla yogurt the 2nd time-5.3oz. cartons. I baked the loaves less time-40 to 45 minutes, greasing and flouring my loaf cake pans. I'd used candied lemon slices on my first batch of breads! The balance of the lemon glaze, I'd used for another purpose! Thank you for yet another great recipe for a lemon cake! This is a keeper for me! delowenstein"