To start, our home economists reduced the total amount of meat in the recipe and replaced it with a healthier alternative-bulgur, a form of cracked wheat. This resulted in a thick "meaty" tomato sauce with less fat and more fiber. To lighten the cream cheese sauce, they used less butter and Parmesan cheese, replaced the milk with the fat-free variety and used reduced-fat cream cheese in place of the full-fat kind. Finally, they used three fewer lasagna noodles. The slimmed-down lasagna has 35% fewer calories, about 60% less fat, and half the saturated fat and cholesterol of the original. After just one taste, you won't even realize it has been lightened up.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- CREAM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook meat, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the wine or broth. Simmer, uncovered, until wine is almost completely reduced. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Place bulgur in a bowl; add boiling water and let stand for 1 hour. Drain; set aside. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. In a saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; stir into butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and seasonings. Cook and stir until smooth. Stir bulgur into meat sauce.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, spread 1 cup meat sauce. Layer with 4 noodles, a third each cream cheese and meat sauces and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauces and Parmesan cheese. (Pan will be full.) Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Lasagna with Two Sauces in Light & Tasty August/September 2004 , p23
Reviews for Makeover Lasagna with Two Sauces
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2011
"How is it that the prep and bake time don't account for the 3 hours that the first step has the sauce simmer. I am rethinking trying this."