Simple ingredient substitutions add up to a tasty makeover that boasts only about half the fat and a fourth fewer calories than the original. We like math that’s that easy! Sarah Klier - Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free whole wheat noodles
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm; set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with salad dressing mix. In the same skillet, brown chicken on both sides. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir the soup, cream cheese, wine, milk and reserved mushrooms into skillet; heat through. Spoon over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Italian Chicken in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p21
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Italian Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review