Makeover Husband’s Dinner Delight Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into sauce. Pour half the beef mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and green onions. Spread over beef mixture. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 343 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 737 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.