My husband, Steve, loves beef, and he especially loves casseroles. He likes to eat the leftovers with tortilla chips. It's like a whole new dish the second time around. —Sherri Cox, Lucasville, Ohio
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into sauce. Pour half the beef mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and green onions. Spread over beef mixture. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Husband’s Dinner Delight in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p24
Reviews for Makeover Husband’s Dinner Delight
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review