Makeover Home-Style Gravy Recipe
Thinking of skipping the gravy this holiday because it's "bad" for you? Don't even think of it! We've created this low-cal, low-fat gravy you won't believe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sherry or unsweetened apple juice
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon turkey drippings
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add sherry; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add the water, parsley and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is nearly reduced by half.
- 2. Strain and discard vegetables and herbs; set liquid aside (liquid should measure 1-1/2 cups).
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Stir in the drippings, sage, browning sauce if desired, salt, pepper and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup equals 31 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC