Makeover Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
Combining a simple milk mixture with a small amount of a basic Hollandaise sauce helped our Test Kitchen staff create a sauce with only half the calories, fat and cholesterol found in a typical Hollandaise.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; keep warm and stir occasionally.
- 2. In a double boiler over simmering water, constantly whisk the egg yolk, lemon juice and water until mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: about 3/4 cup.
2 tablespoons equals 68 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC