Makeover Holiday Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 large Red Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 3 cups chopped watercress (about 1-1/2 bunches)
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, water, mustard, dill, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Slowly add oil while whisking. In a large bowl, combine the apples, blue cheese, walnuts and 3 tablespoons dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- 2. Just before serving, combine romaine and watercress in a large salad bowl; drizzle with remaining dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 12 salad plates; top with apple mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 129 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.