Makeover Holiday Pumpkin Bread Recipe
To reduce the fat and calories in this made over recipe, eliminate an egg, used half the amount of oil and just a third of the nuts called for in the original recipe. The sugar is also reduced by nearly 1 cup by using a combination of white and brown sugar to retain the sweetness of the original bread.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 cups sugar, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil, water and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- 2. Spoon into two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
One slice equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Holiday Pumpkin Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC