Makeover Holiday Loaf Recipe
- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup brown sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with waxed paper; spray the paper and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- 2. Combine the golden raisins and cherries, walnuts and raisins. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat shortening and brown sugar blend until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses and applesauce (mixture will appear curdled).
- 3. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking soda and cloves; add to shortening mixture alternately with milk. Fold in raisin mixture.
- 4. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 208 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Makeover Holiday Loaf
"What's with the shortening? Who uses that to bake with anymore?"
"I made this and it ok, but I made it again and use cream the next time and it was better. If you are wathing your weight, then use the fat-free milk. I like the cream better."