Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole Recipe
Here’s a down-home breakfast bake that’s true to its name. Packed with sausage, veggies, eggs and cheese, this dish will get you going and keep you feeling satisfied. —Kristine Ociepa, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 195 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC