- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole
"I used Jennie-O's breakfast turkey sausage to make it even healthier. I omitted the mushrooms since my husband does not like them and used 2 onions. I had no egg substitute home so I used 12 eggs. YUM!~ Theresa"
"I made this using hot pork breakfast sausage and it disappeared! Great."
"The only thing I would add to this recipe is to line your baking dish with crescent rolls. Makes it even more delicious, but great as is."
"This was very delicious. I prepared it for dinner with cinnamon bagels on the side. My husband particularly loved the Turkey sausage. It looked like way too much liquid, but turned out perfect!"