Here’s a down-home breakfast bake that’s true to its name. Packed with sausage, veggies, eggs and cheese, this dish will get you going and keep you feeling satisfied. —Kristine Ociepa, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Recommended: 23 Things to Make with Leftover Corned Beef
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p24
Reviews for Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2011
"The only thing I would add to this recipe is to line your baking dish with crescent rolls. Makes it even more delicious, but great as is."