Here’s a down-home breakfast bake that’s true to its name. Packed with sausage, veggies, eggs and cheese, this dish will get you going and keep you feeling satisfied. —Kristine Ociepa, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p24
Reviews for Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review