Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole(5)
Sort By :
This was very hearty and fantastic. I am a vegetarian so I used Morning Star sausage patties and crumbled them up. I served this for dinner with fruit and bread. The leftovers were even better
I used Jennie-O's breakfast turkey sausage to make it even healthier. I omitted the mushrooms since my husband does not like them and used 2 onions. I had no egg substitute home so I used 12 eggs. YUM!
I made this using hot pork breakfast sausage and it disappeared! Great.
The only thing I would add to this recipe is to line your baking dish with crescent rolls. Makes it even more delicious, but great as is.
This was very delicious. I prepared it for dinner with cinnamon bagels on the side. My husband particularly loved the Turkey sausage. It looked like way too much liquid, but turned out perfect!
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >