"I like this soup so much, but imagine the calorie count is shocking, " writes Judith Webb from Blue Springs, Missouri. "Any ideas for lightening it up?" Our Test Kitchen showed her how to alter her recipe for a rich and creamy soup with all the bacony goodness of the original...but only a third of the calories and less than one-fourth the saturated fat!
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 6 turkey bacon strips, diced and cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, milk, soup and onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons bacon and 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Hash Brown Soup in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p7
Reviews for Makeover Hash Brown Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review