- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 6 turkey bacon strips, diced and cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, milk, soup and onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons bacon and 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Hash Brown Soup
"Family loved it! Was a little thick so I added 1 cup of chicken stock and only cooked for 2 hours on the stove. Will make this again."
"Since when is 3/4 of a cup a serving?? The calorie count is deceiving."
"Oh and I also added 4 leftover turkey dogs to the soup!"
"I had frozen O'Brien potatoes I bought on a whim only b/c they were on sale, I had some leftover regular bacon in the fridge from the previous day, and went searching for a recipe for things I had on hand b/c it was time to go to the store and cupboards were getting bare. I did have a can of the cream of chicken soup and some leftover green onions (scallions) from some chili I made earlier in the week, so the site brought me to this recipe on ingredients searching. Great recipe, everyone loved it, I did add about 1 1/2 more of milk and used whole milk as well as I said real bacon though and we used Romano cheese on top along with some cheddar and this adds salty flavor naturally. We also used some scallions on top of the finished soup in our bowls."
"Have not tried this recipe yet, but I am looking forward to. I have a question in response to BJrickerl's comment. "How long did you cook this soup in the crock pot for your neighbor?""