This alternative replaced the whole milk with fat-free evaporated milk and used reduced-fat cheddar cheese in place of the sharp cheddar.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Featured In: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked lean ham slices, cut into strips
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, pepper and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1 cup cheese and mustard. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Fold in the potatoes, ham, carrots and parsley. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Ham 'n' Potato Bake in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p15
Reviews for Makeover Ham 'n' Potato Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2008
"Very good. My kids gave it high ratings. I didn't have fat free anything (2% milk, reg cheese)."