Makeover Grandma's Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add oil, then buttermilk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Between two sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- 3. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned (cover edges with foil during the last few minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 5. Place strawberries in a large bowl. Add gelatin mixture; gently toss to coat. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon whipped topping equals 255 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Grandma's Strawberry Pie
"This pie was SO simple and really tasty. I used regular Jell-O because sugar free gives me a headache :/ But it set up perfectly. I also used my own crust recipe (it was pretty similar to the one that was provided, milk with vinegar version)."
"Loved this recipe! Can't even tell it is sugar free jello!"
"This recipe will really appeal to fresh strawberry pie lovers. I love how easy it is, with the use of strawberry gelatin."
"Not only is this an amazing pie, but the directions for cooking the crust made the best precooked crust I have ever had."
"I used a regular pie crust recipe. This is such a good recipe."
"This was delicious and easy to make. I also drizzed some chocolate on the top of each piece when I served it. My family loved it."
"... not too sweet and so refreshing ... tastes like summer ! ..."
"I have made this recipe for years!! One handed down form my Mother. We didn't use sugar free jello.This is great!"
"I've made this pie for years...I like it better than even strawberry short cake. It is soooo fresh tasting. The berries seem like they are just off the plant. Even good with graham crust (try chocolate). Favorite summer desert!"
"this is my favorite strawberry pie love the makeover"
"This is a delicious pie that is not too sweet. It is very satisfying without a lot of calories."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.