Our pros created a healthier version of Beth’s dish by tweaking the original. With this better-for-you recipe, now you can enjoy their great flavor more often! Beth Dauenhauer - Pueblo, Colorado
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cottage cheese, sour cream, chilies, cumin and coriander; set aside.
- For sauce, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, salsa, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place a heaping 1/2 cup meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over top.
- Sprinkle one dish with 6 tablespoons cheese; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining dish, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- To use frozen enchiladas: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 dishes (6 servings each).
Originally published as Makeover Gourmet Enchiladas in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009, p21
Reviews for Makeover Gourmet Enchiladas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2010
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2009
"This was fabulous!! easy, and the second one in the freezer is a bonus!"