Makeover Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, egg, oil and applesauce on low speed until combined. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a another large bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Add the butter, eggs, egg whites and vanilla; beat on low until combined. Add the confectioners' sugar; mix well. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
Sort By :
"This is very good, but mine does not turn out like the pic. Are you sure you do not bake the cake before you add the peanut butter layer? Mine all mixes together and puffs up."
"We are always looking for dessert recipes that taste good and mimic the high fat and calorie counterparts. This is satisfying and delicious. To further reduce the fat, I used no eggs and whites only. Further, I eliminated the canola oil and used a fat free butter substitute. The finished product was wonderful. Kudos to the cook who created this....it was love "at first bite " !"
"I agree with kerschc, the chocolate layer was very difficult to spread in the bottom of the pan, & I also thought that part of the cake was dry after I baked it. The peanut butter top part of the cake was easy to spread & moist after baking. Maybe increasing the canola oil & applesauce would make it easier to spread the chocolate layer & make it more moist after baking?"
"A little too sweet for my taste but I will tweek it and try it again !! Have to get daughter-in-law's input--she is the Reeses nut in the family"
"Mine turned out exactly as pictured. They were really good. Took them for the volunteer at a food bank I help at and everyone wanted the recipe."