Makeover Fudge Cake Recipe
Mary Jo Kopecky of Madison, Wisconsin sent us her recipe for a wonderful fudge torte. "It's so rich and fudgy, but is loaded with saturated fat." The makeover fudge cake is moist, dense and oh-so-chocolaty...and has half the calories and saturated fat of the original.
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 container (2-1/2 ounces) prune baby food
- 5 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in brown sugar. Beat in the baby food, coffee and reserved chocolate mixture.
- 3. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into the chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 4. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool for 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Frost top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 340 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Fudge Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC